Air-fried mini pineapple upside-down cakes are a delightful twist on the classic dessert. The air fryer creates individual-sized cakes with caramelized pineapple and a moist, flavorful cake. Here’s how to make them:
For the Pineapple Topping:
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 can of pineapple rings (about 8 slices)
- Maraschino cherries (for garnish, optional)
For the Cake Batter:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice (from the canned pineapple)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Start by preheating your air fryer to 320°F (160°C) for a few minutes.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the brown sugar and 2 tablespoons of butter. Microwave for about 30 seconds, or until the butter has melted. Stir to create a caramel-like sauce.
- Place a pineapple ring in the bottom of each well-greased mini cake pan or ramekin. If desired, add a maraschino cherry to the center of each pineapple ring.
- Spoon the caramel sauce over the pineapple slices.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract to the butter-sugar mixture and mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, alternating with the buttermilk and pineapple juice, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix until the batter is smooth.
- Carefully spoon the cake batter over the pineapple slices in the cake pans, filling each about two-thirds full.
- Place the cake pans in the preheated air fryer and cook for 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cake comes out clean.
- Once done, remove the mini pineapple upside-down cakes from the air fryer and let them cool for a few minutes.
- To serve, carefully invert the cakes onto a serving plate, pineapple side up.
These air-fried mini pineapple upside-down cakes are a sweet and tangy treat that’s perfect for dessert or a special occasion. Enjoy!