Homemade Apple Pie: A Classic Dessert Delight
Homemade Apple Pie is an all-time classic dessert that evokes feelings of comfort and nostalgia. With a buttery, flaky crust and a sweet and spiced apple filling, it’s a dessert that’s loved by many. This recipe will guide you through the steps to create your very own homemade apple pie from scratch. Whether you’re baking it for a special occasion or a cozy family dinner, the aroma of a freshly baked apple pie is sure to delight your senses.
For the Pie Crust:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 6-8 tablespoons ice water
For the Apple Filling:
- 6-7 medium-sized apples (such as Granny Smith or Honeycrisp), peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg (for egg wash)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (for dusting)
1. Prepare the Pie Crust:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, salt, and sugar.
- Add the cold, cubed butter to the flour mixture. Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, work the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually add ice water, one tablespoon at a time, and mix just until the dough begins to come together. Be careful not to overmix.
- Divide the dough into two equal portions, shape each into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
2. Preheat Your Oven:
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C). Place a baking sheet on the center rack to catch any potential drips during baking.
3. Prepare the Apple Filling:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the thinly sliced apples, granulated sugar, all-purpose flour, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, salt, and lemon juice. Toss until the apples are evenly coated with the mixture.
4. Roll Out the Pie Crust:
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one of the chilled pie crust discs into a circle large enough to line a 9-inch (23 cm) pie dish. Carefully transfer the crust to the pie dish, pressing it gently against the bottom and sides.
5. Add the Apple Filling:
- Pour the prepared apple filling into the pie crust, spreading it out evenly.
- Dot the top of the filling with small pieces of unsalted butter.
6. Roll Out the Top Crust:
- Roll out the second chilled pie crust disc into a circle.
- Place the top crust over the apple filling.
7. Seal and Decorate:
- Trim any excess dough hanging over the edges of the pie dish.
- Press the edges of the top and bottom crusts together to seal the pie. You can use a fork or your fingers to create a decorative edge.
- Cut a few small slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape during baking.
8. Brush with Egg Wash:
- In a small bowl, beat the egg to create an egg wash. Brush the top crust with the egg wash.
- Place the pie in the preheated oven on the baking sheet.
- Bake at 425°F (220°C) for 45-55 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown, and the filling is bubbling.
10. Cool and Serve:
- Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack for at least 2 hours before serving. This allows the filling to set.
- Serve your Homemade Apple Pie warm or at room temperature. Optionally, you can sprinkle the top with a tablespoon of granulated sugar before serving.
Homemade Apple Pie is a timeless dessert that brings warmth and comfort to any occasion. With a flaky, homemade crust and a deliciously spiced apple filling, it’s a dessert that never goes out of style. Whether you serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream, your homemade apple pie is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. Enjoy this classic dessert delight with family and friends!