Air Fryer Old-Fashioned Potato Cakes: Crispy, Golden, and Comforting
Old-fashioned potato cakes, also known as potato patties or potato pancakes, are a comforting and classic dish loved by many. These crispy, golden-brown delights are a great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes and transform them into a whole new culinary experience. In this article, we’ll guide you through making Air Fryer Old-Fashioned Potato Cakes that are not only easy to prepare but also irresistibly delicious.
Rediscovering Comfort in Tradition
There’s something timeless and heartwarming about old-fashioned recipes. These potato cakes harken back to a simpler time and are a testament to the idea that classic dishes never go out of style.
Before we get into the recipe, let’s gather the essential ingredients you’ll need for Air Fryer Old-Fashioned Potato Cakes:
- 2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Cooking spray (for the air fryer)
1. Prepare the Potato Mixture
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the leftover mashed potatoes, all-purpose flour, finely chopped onion, egg, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper.
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly until they are well combined. The mixture should hold together easily without being too sticky. If it’s too wet, add a little more flour; if it’s too dry, you can add a touch of water.
2. Form the Potato Cakes
- Divide the potato mixture into equal portions and shape them into flat patties. The size of the patties is up to your preference; you can make them small for bite-sized snacks or larger for a heartier side dish.
3. Preheat Your Air Fryer
- Preheat your air fryer to 375°F (190°C) for about 5 minutes. Preheating ensures that the potato cakes will cook evenly and become crispy.
4. Air Fry the Potato Cakes
- Lightly grease the air fryer basket or tray with cooking spray to prevent sticking.
- Place the potato cakes in a single layer in the air fryer basket or on the tray, making sure not to overcrowd them. You may need to cook in batches depending on the size of your air fryer.
- Air fry the potato cakes for 12-15 minutes, flipping them halfway through the cooking time. They should become golden brown and crispy on both sides.
5. Serve and Enjoy
- Once the Air Fryer Old-Fashioned Potato Cakes are golden and crispy, remove them from the air fryer and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to absorb any excess oil.
- Serve your crispy potato cakes hot as a delightful side dish or snack. They pair perfectly with sour cream, applesauce, or your favorite dipping sauce.
Air Fryer Old-Fashioned Potato Cakes are a nostalgic and delightful treat that transforms leftover mashed potatoes into a crispy and comforting dish. Whether you enjoy them as a side or a snack, these golden-brown potato cakes will warm your heart and your taste buds.
So, preheat your air fryer, shape those potato cakes, and get ready to savor a taste of tradition with a modern twist. Happy cooking, and enjoy every crispy bite!