Certainly! Here’s a simple recipe for green beans with bacon:
Green Beans with Bacon
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 4-6 slices of bacon, chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional, for a bit of heat)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (if needed)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon (about 1-2 tablespoons)
- Prepare the Green Beans:
- Wash the green beans and trim the ends. You can leave them whole or cut them into bite-sized pieces.
- Cook the Bacon:
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the chopped bacon until it becomes crispy and the fat has rendered. If you’re using a lean bacon, you may need to add a little olive oil to the pan to prevent sticking.
- Add Onion and Garlic (Optional):
- If using chopped onion, add it to the bacon in the skillet and sauté for a few minutes until it becomes translucent. Then, add the minced garlic and cook for another minute.
- Blanch the Green Beans:
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Add the trimmed green beans and blanch them for about 2-3 minutes until they turn bright green and become slightly tender but still crisp. Drain the green beans.
- Combine Ingredients:
- Add the blanched green beans to the skillet with the bacon, onion, and garlic. Toss to combine.
- Season and Sauté:
- Season with salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes (if using). Sauté the green beans with the other ingredients for about 5-7 minutes, or until they reach your desired level of tenderness.
- Add Butter and Lemon Juice:
- Just before serving, add the butter and lemon juice to the skillet. Toss to coat the green beans evenly, allowing the butter to melt and the lemon juice to add a refreshing zing to the dish.
- Transfer the green beans with bacon to a serving dish and serve them hot.
Enjoy your green beans with bacon as a flavorful and delicious side dish!