Crispy pies with apples and walnuts are a delicious dessert or snack option that combines the sweetness of apples with the crunch of walnuts in a flaky pastry crust. Here’s a basic recipe to make these delectable treats:
For the Filling:
- 3-4 apples (such as Granny Smith or Honeycrisp), peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
For the Crust:
- 2 sheets of store-bought puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (for sprinkling)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the sliced apples, chopped walnuts, granulated sugar, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, lemon juice, and cornstarch. Toss everything together until the apples are well coated.
- Roll out one sheet of puff pastry on a lightly floured surface to your desired thickness. Use a round cutter or a glass to cut out circles, typically around 4-5 inches in diameter.
- Place a spoonful of the apple and walnut filling in the center of each pastry circle, leaving some space around the edges.
- Brush the edges of the pastry circles with beaten egg, which will help seal the pies.
- Fold each circle in half to create a half-moon shape, covering the filling. Press the edges with a fork to seal the pies and create a decorative edge.
- Place the pies on the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush the tops of the pies with more beaten egg and sprinkle them with granulated sugar.
- Repeat the process with the second sheet of puff pastry until all the filling is used up.
- Make a small slit or two on top of each pie to allow steam to escape during baking.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes, or until the pies are golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Remove the pies from the oven and let them cool slightly before serving.
These crispy pies with apples and walnuts are best served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream. Enjoy your homemade dessert!